Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Delirious

I still remember where I was the first time I watched Eddie Murphy's Delirious. I was probably 9 years old and at my Aunt Pearl's house for some family function. It was me and two of my older cousins, Striggs and Josh, watching in Josh's room upstairs.

This is where I found my sense of humor. So, I guess you can say in a way THIS IS WHERE I FOUND MYSELF!!!!

Delirious is like the GODFATHER of Standup Performances. Every time I watch it (at least twice a year) I find something new to appreciate.

Murphy is only 21 years old, that is just baffling. This is 100 times more impressive than Lebron dominating the NBA at the same age. For one, even though Lebron was dominating at 21, the difference to which Lebron performed compared to other great young NBA players (Dwight Howard, Garnett, Bryant, Wade, Melo) at 21 is not even close to Murphy at 21 compared to other comics. Just think if Murphy kept performing.

And I keep doing DELIRIOUS injustice by calling it standup. It was really a fucking SHOWCASE a beautiful SPECTACLE, a MASTERPIECE, what the pretentious would call a TOUR DE FORCE. Murphy doesn't just deliver set-up punchline jokes. He does impressions, he dances, he sings, he improvises, he interacts with the audience, he does it all. There is really nothing else to ever come out like DEILIRIOUS.

John Leguizamo 's special SEXAHOLIC is somewhat comparable the way it showcases Leguizamo's talent, but it is more a broadway-one-man-show than standup comedy.


So please everyone. Do yourself a favor and watch it. You won't regret it.

XOXOXO
Frankiehi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7kP35jI7Go

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't be more spot on, Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm Brian (if that is really a real commenter), I'm glad you started to write and stopped cleaning.

    ReplyDelete